Eyelid Surgery Seattle
When you interact with others, eye contact is perhaps the most important way you express yourself. Bright open eyes convey alertness, vigor, and youth.
However, eyes that sag due to excess skin and are puffy due to excess fat convey a tired older appearance even though you may feel energetic and rested. The Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, can correct these problems. Dark circles and wrinkles, two problems seen in aging eyelids, cannot be corrected by Blepharoplasty alone.
Are you a candidate?
- If you have excess skin and fat on the upper and lower eyelids
- If you have vision problems secondary to excessive skin on the upper eyelids
- If you have laxity of the lower eyelids and desire a tightening procedure
- Create a more youthful and less tired appearance
For the upper eyelids the incision line is placed at the natural eyelid crease. Excess skin, muscle and fat are then removed. Because the incision is placed in a natural crease, it is frequently almost invisible after surgery. Lasers can be used to remove this excess tissue which helps reduce swelling and bruising afterwards.
A number of options exist for performing lower eyelid surgery. The traditional approach places the incision just below the eyelashes, trimming excess skin and fat.
While the traditional technique is used in special cases, the most common approach at our center is the transconjunctival, in which the incision is placed inside the eyelid, invisible from the outside. While excess fat can be removed through this incision, excess skin cannot. Excess skin can be removed just below the eyelashes in a “pinch technique” or in some cases laser resurfacing can both tighten excess skin and remove wrinkles at the same time.
Most Blepharoplasty surgery is performed with either sedation or general anesthesia.
- If sutures are placed, they are usually removed in five days.
- Most patients can return to work or public life in one week after surgery.
- Contacts can be worn in two to three weeks after surgery.
Ancillary procedures to Blepharoplasty
There are additional procedures that may be considered to enhance results.