What’s all the buzz about Botox? It provides you with a relatively inexpensive, non-surgical option for facial rejuvenation that can be done in an office visit.
What is Botox®?
Botox® is botulium toxin, a substance that has the ability to paralyze muscular activity.
How does it work?
Muscular activity causes overlying skin wrinkles. By injecting Botox® into the muscles causing these lines, they are smoothed out and in some cases completely erased. This therapy is very safe, as the amounts injected for cosmetic use are so small that there are no ill effects.
How long does it last?
The benefit of this treatment is temporary, lasting 3 to 6 months depending on the individual.
Botox® is not for:
- Pregnant or nursing mothers
- People who are allergic to human albumin
- People who have muscular and neurological disorders such as myasthenia gravis or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis – Eaton Lambert Syndrome.
Where can it be used?
- Frown lines (between the eyes)
- Crows feet (around the eyes)
- Underarms (for severe underarm sweating)
What should expect during my treatment?
The treatment usually takes between 5 to 15 minutes depending on how many lines need to be treated. Injection of Botox® causes minimal discomfort, similar to receiving local anesthesia for dental work. Following the injection, there may be some slight redness and swelling that quickly resolves.
What should I expect after my treatment?
- After treatment we recommend that you do not rub the injection site for 12 hours
- Do not participate in heavy physical activity for at least 12 hours
- Some tingling may be felt in the injected area
- The beginning effects are usually seen at 48 to 72 hours after injection with the maximum effect at one week
- Botox® is not permanent and will have to be repeated, usually every 3-6 months
- If a line persists following treatments, you may need additional treatments (laser skin resurfacing, injectable fillers, chemical peels) to help smooth persistent lines
For more information regarding Botox, visit: www.botoxcosmetic.com
Before and After Photos
For more information regarding Brilliant Distinctions, visit: www.BrilliantdistinctionsProgram.com